With over 2.5 billion verified users, YouTube is the biggest video-sharing platform on earth. And although it started as an amateur video archive when it was launched in 2005, the now Google-owned platform has become a global tool for just about anyone to share their work with viewers the world over. And if your question is how to make money on YouTube, read on.
You can make money on YouTube by joining the YouTube Partner Program (YPP), selling directly to your fans or through brand partnerships. You can also collect tips from your viewers, try affiliate marketing or license your content to other platforms.
The amount you’ll make on YouTube will depend mainly on your subscriber count and post views, so creating great content that resonates with a large audience is essential. The rest of this article will explore how to make money on YouTube, particularly as a Nigerian. Let’s go!
How to make money on YouTube in Nigeria
From Fisayo Fosudo to Korty EO, many Nigerians have started channels, built personal brands and grown their businesses on YouTube. Today, it’s pretty easy to get started. All you need to do is have a YouTube channel, create great content, and implement one or more monetisation options!
Here are 5 ways you can make money on YouTube in Nigeria:
- Join the YouTube Partner Program
- Sell products and merch to your fans
- Collect tips from your viewers
- Partner with brands
- License your content
In the next section, we’ll see just how these methods work!
1. Join the YouTube Partner Program
You can be a part of the YPP if you live in Nigeria. However, you’ll need to meet other requirements like having no active Community Guidelines strikes on your channel and ensuring 2-Step Verification is active on your account.
Here’s how to join the YouTube Partner Program:
- Visit the official YouTube Studio website. You can also open the YouTube Studio app on your Android or iOS device.
- Click the “Earn” button. You’ll find it on the left menu on the website and in the bottom menu on the YouTube Studio app.
- Select the “Apply” button. YouTube requires that creators have 1,000 subscribers with 4,000 valid public watch hours in the last 12 months or 1,000 subscribers with 10 million valid public Shorts views in the last 90 days to join the program.
- Click “Start” to review the YPP terms. Ensure you go over the base terms to understand the requirements for the Program before accepting.
- Set up an Adsense account or add one if you have an existing account. You’ll need this account to get paid on YouTube.
The other eligibility requirements for the YPP are pretty straightforward, and you can read all about them by checking out the YouTube Partner Program overview & eligibility webpage.
But now you’ve joined, what’s next?
Well, YouTube offers creators many different ways to make money off YPP, and you can benefit from any of them if you meet the eligibility requirements.
Here’s how to make money on YouTube via the YouTube Partner Program:
- Advertising revenue
- YouTube Shopping
- YouTube Premium revenue
- Channel memberships
- Super Chat & Super Stickers
- Super Thanks
2. Sell products and merch to your fans
A simple kind of social media influencer marketing is selling straight to your audience. You only need an interested audience and a product or service worth selling to do this. Fortunately, YouTube has no shortage of the former, especially if you create high-quality content.
You can start selling on YouTube by creating a few videos describing your offer and providing a link for prospective clients to reach you. These items could include merch (if you’re famous enough) or everyday items like electronics, clothes and stationeries.
These videos can be fun too!
Depending on your brand, you could talk at length about the products, review them or even try them on! It’s totally up to you.
Of course, you could also include a link to an e-commerce store — like your PocketApp seller’s profile — for buyers to browse your offerings and shop directly from you.
3. Collect tips from your viewers
You can also collect tips from your viewers on YouTube — just like on TikTok and Facebook. It’s an excellent way to make money on the platform and slightly differs from the Super Chat or Super Sticker features on the Youtube Partner Program.
In this situation, you collect money directly from your fans by setting up a preferred payment platform. Overall, tipping is a fantastic way to monetise your work and a great opportunity for your YouTube subscribers and viewers to appreciate your content.
Here are a few platforms you can use to receive tips on YouTube:
You can include these links (or payment details) directly in your content or the description section of your videos.
4. Partner with brands
Brand partnerships are a huge deal on YouTube — especially if you have a significant following on the platform — and many will pay you to market their products to your viewers directly. These partnerships come in the form of video sponsorships or long-term channel collaborations.
This form of influencer marketing can be an excellent source of income if you play your cards right and are willing to put in the work.
Some brands can also offer affiliate partnerships — although you’ll only get paid based on how many people make a purchase using your unique link or affiliate code.
The size of your channel doesn’t matter if you want to make money from YouTube by collaborating with brands. You can secure brand partnerships if your content is of high quality or if your channel has a faithful following.
5. License your content
Licensing your content is rarely talked about, but it is another significant way to make money on YouTube in Nigeria. It’s similar to having brand collaborations, but in this case, the company reaches out after you’ve posted your content.
They’ll typically ask to use all or a part of your video for promotional purposes, and you can charge them any amount you choose.
And it’s not just brands! Media organisations (like television channels and other YouTube channels) can also contact you if they want to license your content.
This method is usually more profitable if you’re well-known, but anyone can make money off it if you create content a brand likes.
Just one thing: ensure you put your contact information in the description section of your YouTube channel. Doing this will ensure that brands know how to reach you if they need to talk.
YouTube can be a gold mine for you, and it’s a great way to start making money if you’re exploring new options. Fortunately, it’s not too expensive to start a career as a YouTuber. You can get in on the action even if you’re a student.
The articles on the PiggyVest Blog are developed by seasoned writers who use original sources like authoritative websites, news articles and academic journals to perform in-depth research. An experienced editor fact-checks every piece before it is published to ensure you are always reading accurate, up-to-date and balanced content.
- YouTube Creators: How to make money on YouTube
- Statista: YouTube - Statistics & Facts
- Statista: Most popular social networks worldwide as of January 2023, ranked by number of monthly active users
- Alan Spicer: The Evolution of YouTube: A Comprehensive Analysis of Its History, Ownership, and Business Success
- YouTube Help: How to earn money on YouTube
- YouTube Help: Super Thanks eligibility, availability, and policies
- YouTube Help: Super Chat & Super Stickers eligibility, availability, and policies
- YouTube Help: Channel memberships eligibility, policies, & guidelines
- YouTube Help: Your Content & YouTube Premium
- YouTube Help: Get started with Shopping on YouTube
- YouTube Help: Choose how you want to monetize
- YouTube Help: YouTube Partner Program overview & eligibility