High income skills can open you up to international opportunities and financial security — whether you have a university degree or not. And, thanks to the internet, you can build a career and make money from solving problems using those skills. So, which high income skills are worth learning in Nigeria today?
The high income skills worth learning in Nigeria include content creation, cybersecurity, data analysis, design, digital marketing and finance management. You can also explore people management, sales, SEO, software engineering, teaching and writing.
The good news is that you’re in the right place if you’re unsure of what qualifies as a high income skill and need help picking the right one to learn. We’ll dive into just how you can make money off these skills and share some handy tips for choosing the right high income skill. Let’s begin.
What are high income skills?
High income skills are highly sought-after abilities or expertise that have the potential to provide a sizable income. In other words, they are highly valued skills enabling individuals — even Nigerians — to access well-paying jobs and lucrative freelance gigs.
Of course, these skills can also lead to pretty profitable businesses.
You don’t necessarily need an academic qualification to learn a high income skill. These skills can be acquired through focused learning, informal training programs, practice and experience. With grit and determination, you too can become a high earner like this software engineer who went from ₦44,000 per month To ₦5.4 million per month in six years.
We’ll discuss these learning methods in a later section of this article.
Top 8 high income skills worth learning in Nigeria
There are numerous options to consider if you want to learn a high income skill in Nigeria. But there’s no guarantee that the one you settle on will be profitable today or make you enough money to leave the trenches. So, we’ve curated a list of some of the best to explore.
Here are the top 8 high income skills worth learning in Nigeria:
- Content creation
- Data analysis
- Design and illustration
- Digital marketing
- People management
- Software engineering
These skills are in high demand today and will remain valuable for years. Therefore, you can dive into whichever matches your interests and abilities.
Of course, some of these skills pay more than others, so you should also consider that when choosing. And regardless of what skill you learn, being good at what you do will help you land big clients and snag lucrative employment opportunities. You have to put in the work!
In the next section, we’ll briefly explore these top high income skills.
1. Content creation
Cybersecurity involves safeguarding digital systems and data against online threats. As a cybersecurity expert, you’ll protect internet privacy and help thwart cyberattacks for individuals and businesses.
You can build your cybersecurity skills today by taking the Google Career Certificate in Cybersecurity program.
3. Data analysis
Data analysis involves extracting insights from raw data to help companies and individuals make better decisions. As a data analyst, you’ll use tools to identify strategy-driving trends and patterns.
Alison’s free Introduction to Data Analysis course is a great place to start if you want to learn this skill.
4. Design and illustration
This high income skill is perfect if you have a knack for creating visually captivating graphics and designs to enhance communication across various mediums. You can explore animation like Israel the Creator or create art like Renike Olusanya.
You can also try product design like Daniel Abayomi, who made 23 times his old salary in a short time.
5. Digital marketing
Digital marketers amplify brand visibility and engagement through various online channels — including social media and search engines. Your proficiency in digital marketing can lead to impressive online growth for businesses.
You can take the Google Digital Marketing & E-commerce Professional Certificate on Coursera to build this skill.
6. People management
People management professionals like PiggyVest’s Deborah Okechukwu are instrumental in every organisation — regardless of the industry. You can build this skill by taking courses like the People Management Skills offered by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development on FutureLearn.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) specialists use their skills to boost website visibility and improve organic traffic for businesses. It’s an in-demand skill that can help companies to enhance their online reach.
The Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Specialization on Coursera is a great way to learn this skill, but you can also try free resources like the SEO Roadmap with Free Resources & Tools from LearningSEO.io.
8. Software engineering
The success of many tech bros in Nigeria is a testament to how profitable software engineering is. They develop and maintain software applications to address user needs.
FreeCodeCamp is a free, excellent platform to start.
How to learn high income skills in Nigeria
We’ve seen the top high income skills in Nigeria, but how can you learn them? Learning high income skills requires a mix of education, networking and lots of practice. You’ll also need to look for ways to continuously improve yourself and your skills.
Here’s how to develop and learn high income skills in Nigeria:
- Attend formal classes. Some formal institutions and traditional universities offer some of these in-demand skills as degrees and diplomas. There are also online programs like AltSchool Africa. This method is best if you want a structured learning experience and a verifiable certificate.
- Take paid courses. Paid courses — like those on Udemy and Coursera — are typically shorter than formal classes but come with verifiable certificates.
- Use free online and offline resources. YouTube is an excellent way to learn stuff — even things like how to purchase investments on PiggyVest with Investify. You can also explore other resources like freeCodeCamp and HubSpot Academy.
- Find a mentor. Having coaches and mentors can fast-track your career — regardless of what skill you’re interested in learning. These mentors can be professionals, teachers or content creators.
- Land an internship. Landing an internship is an excellent way to develop high income skills. You can go from intern to professional if you play your cards right. Some of these internships can be remote, giving you a chance to learn and work from home.
- Learn on the job. It might seem unconventional, but you can also learn high income skills on the job. Many employers will hire and train you if you show some promise.
You can also combine these methods to improve your learning experience.
For example, a product designer we interviewed for our Six Figure series — who went from making ₦15,000 per month to earning ₦1.2 million per month — shared that a combination of learning resources and an internship were instrumental in his journey.
Remember that learning and mastering a high income skill is a gradual process. Therefore, take the time to immerse yourself in your chosen craft as much as possible.
How to make money off high income skills in Nigeria
There’s a big difference between learning a high income skill and making money from it. But don’t worry — we’ll show you how to do the latter. Fortunately, there are many different ways to do just that.
Here’s how to make money off high income skills in Nigeria:
- Offer freelance or consulting services. Platforms like Fiverr are a great way to get started if you want to freelance, but you can also pitch your services to local companies via LinkedIn and platforms like Twitter (X). You can also try consulting like Blessing Abeng — a marketing and communications expert who has helped build two successful tech companies.
- Start a service-based business. These businesses include agencies, and you could work with companies and individuals. For example, you could start an agency like this digital marketer who went from ₦30,000 per month To ₦6.8 million per month in four years.
- Create and sell digital products. You can create templates, e-books and online courses if you have design, content creation and writing skills.
- Teach or coach other enthusiasts. You can share your expertise through workshops, one-on-one coaching sessions and even webinars. A great example is Olukayode Olayemi, a financial educator and founder of Thrive Financial, who uses his platform to teach people how to make better financial decisions.
- Create content. You can record podcasts, write on a blog or produce YouTube videos and monetise the content through ad revenue, sponsorships and affiliate marketing. Just ensure it’s high-quality content that’s helpful and entertaining.
- Get a job. You can apply for part-time and full-time positions requiring high income skills. To do this, we recommend having a solid portfolio and a well-presented resume to ensure you stand out to recruiters.
Remember that creating a sustainable revenue stream from in-demand skills takes commitment, perseverance and the capacity to adjust to shifting market needs.
We recommend trying new ideas, continuously upskilling and staying proactive to ensure you make more money in the long run.
Tips for choosing the right high income skill
In this section, we’ll delve into some helpful advice to guide you in making a well-informed choice when selecting a high-income skill that can open doors to lucrative opportunities in Nigeria.
Here are a few tips for choosing the right high income skill:
- Choose a skill with sustained and growing demand to ensure continuous income.
- Consider your interests and passion, and go for a skill that aligns with your natural inclinations to help make the learning process more enjoyable and boost your chances of succeeding.
- Opt for skills that you can improve on over time.
- Consider the availability of quality learning materials.
- Assess the time required to learn and master the skill.
- Consider the cost of learning.
- Go for skills that have long-term viability.
- Find out the level of competition within your chosen skill field.
- Consider skills with excellent networking opportunities.
- Go for skills that pay well in Nigeria and abroad.
- Look for success stories and learn from other people’s experiences.
- Choose a skill that aligns with current and emerging trends.
The right high-income skill for you will heavily depend on your interests as well as on your ability to take time and effort to learn the craft. We recommend taking time to research and compare options before deciding.
But it is also fine if you just go for whatever you want now and learn another skill in the future.
Learning and monetising high income skills will be a breeze if you apply the tips outlined in this article. But don’t forget to save and invest as much as possible when the money starts rolling in.We recommend using a safe and secure savings and investment platform like PiggyVest. It has useful features like automated savings and interest rates of up to 35% across six plans.
The articles on the PiggyVest Blog are developed by seasoned writers who use original sources like authoritative websites, news articles and academic journals to perform in-depth research. An experienced editor fact-checks every piece before it is published to ensure you are always reading accurate, up-to-date and balanced content.
- Coursera: 7 High-Income Skills Worth Learning in 2023
- Glassdoor: Looking to Upgrade? These are the Best Jobs for 2022
- McKinsey & Company: The Great Attrition is making hiring harder. Are you searching the right talent pools?
- Search Engine Journal: LinkedIn Lists Top 10 In-Demand Marketing Skills
- Indeed: What Are High-Income Skills? (With 13 Skills to Develop)
- Nexford University: Top 10 High Income Skills in Nigeria 2023